Adding gabapentin to lithium.
- Lithium is eliminated by the kidney for about 95%. Changes in the rate of excretion can cause unwanted effects.
- Gabapentin is eliminated unchanged by the kidney for 100%.
- The advantages of gabapentin include the lack of interactions with other drugs in the cytochrome P450 system and the lack of protein binding. Since there is little risk of drug interactions, use with lithium is likely to be safe. 
- Start gabapentine according to the general dosing advice.
- Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects. 
Farmacotherapeutisch Kompas - lithium (dutch)
Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "ftk" defined multiple times with different content
- Freeman et al. Mood stabilizer Combinations: A Review of Safety and Efficacy. Am J Psychiatry 1998;155:12-21
- Interactions between lithium and gabapentin on drugs.com
The editors of psychiatrienet.nl take the greatest care to provide up-to-date and accurate information on this site. Nevertheless, mistakes and omissions cannot be entirely excluded. No rights devolve from the information provided. The editors and other providers of information to this site accept no responsibility for the content of this site or for the information provided therein; neither do they accept responsibility for possible damages which may derive from the use of the information on this site or from the linked sites. The editorial board accepts no responsibility for the content of the (linked) sites, for access to them, or for the products and services on these sites, nor for the occurrence of errors, viruses, and/or disruptions in service.